BuddyPress And Alchem Theme
BuddyPress helps you run any kind of social network on your WordPress, with member profiles, activity streams, user groups, messaging, and more. With the combination of our Alchem theme and BuddyPress, you can turn your site into a community of users and add social media features.
In your WordPress admin screens, go to Plugins > Add New, and you’ll see BuddyPress displayed prominently in the list of available plugins.
Click the Install button followed by the Activate plugin link, and BuddyPress will be installed for you.
- Selecting the components you want to include.
- Creating pages.
- Customizing settings.
- Extended Profiles: customize user profiles and configure the available fields.
- Account Settings: let your users edit their account settings.
- Friend Connections: let users make connections with each other.
- Private Messaging: Let users send each other private messages.
- Activity Streams: display streams of activity on the site with direct posting to the front-end, threaded commenting, mentions and email notification.
- Notifications: select this and your members will receive notifications of recent activity in the way that they select.
- User Groups: allow the creation of user groups for people to create their own networks in your community.
- Site Tracking: track what’s happening on your site (posts and comments).
- BuddyPress Core: you can’t deselect this component as without it, BuddyPress won’t work!
- Community Members: again you can’t deselect this as BuddyPress won’t function without members.
You can select as many or as few of these as are relevant for your site, and add to them at a later date if you decide to extend your community’s scope.
Now that you’ve selected components and created pages, it’s time to move on to configure BuddyPress settings.
Click the Settings tab.
- Main Settings: enable or disable the toolbar at the top of the screen for logged-in users, and specify whether users can delete their account themselves.
- Profile Settings: allow members to upload their own profile picture, and sync BuddyPress and WordPress profiles.
- Activity Settings: enable activity stream commenting on blog and forum posts as well as BuddyPress updates, and auto-referees the activity stream in real time.
Select the ones that are relevant to your site and click the Save Settings button.
BuddyPress is a powerful tool for creating online communities, which you can use for anything from a small team to a massive network of people across the world. It has the flexibility to accommodate a variety of uses, because you can switch components and settings on and off according to the needs of your site.